Wednesday 30 April 2014

Brajesh's Review : Zona


I picked up "Zona - A Book About a Film About a Journey to a Room", the Geoff Dyer book, because @JLF during her photography workshop Dayanita Singh talked about the craft and construction brilliance of Geoff Dyer and how in Zona the footnotes run a parallel story-line.

However, nothing could have prepared me for what I encountered. The book is a frame by frame discourse on the SciFi thriller "Stalker" by Tarkovsky. Unfortunately these lines are an extremely inadequate description of this book.

I felt totally dwarfed in front of this masterpiece, which left be bewildered and awestruck on every second page. There is a section in the book where Geoff Dyer quotes Flaubert "from the standpoint of pure art one might establish the axiom that there is no such thing as subject - style in itself being an absolute manner of seeing things." and from my perspective, the book seems to be an attempt to prove this superiority of "style" over the usually hyped up "subject".

To this effect, this isn't a book , but a peice of art .... Go ahead, get bowled over by Geoff Dyer magic.

I have no clue under which genre I should classify this piece of art !!! So will just go with Non Fiction.

Rating : 4.5 / 5

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...