Monday 25 August 2014

Brajesh's Review : Madhubala - "I Don't Want to Die"


Given my adoration of Madhubala, I was so happy to receive this gift from my wife. The small comic like, 40 page life story of Madhubala is part of a series titled “Discovery Books” by General Press.

I think the concept is outstanding to have short 50/- MRP booklets to educate the interested reader. Topics and personalities covered in this series range from Amitabh, Sachin, Lal Bahadur Shastri to AIDS, Jama Masjid & Delhi.

Unfortunately the book didn’t even have material to to do justice to 40 pages. It felt more like a badly written long essay on Madhubala. The themes of Mumtaz Jehan Begum Dehlavi’s (Madhubala) strict father and her legendary affair with Yusuf Bhai (Dilip Kumar) is repeated umpteen times. It would have been better to edit the book further by 40% or get some additional material to avoid this useless repetition.

For a fan of Madhubala there is enough new material for a quick read. But the poor quality of writing and lack of authentic insights mean that I won’t be recommending this series to anyone.

Rating : 2.5 / 5

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...