Friday 29 August 2014

Brajesh's Review : My Passage From India


"My Passage From India" is the life story of Ismail Merchant - from a school boy in Bombay to one of the biggest producers in Hollywood. From an struggling producer to one half of the legend of Merchant Ivory Productions.

This book has all the ingredients of a blockbuster film. The book feels like a perfectly cooked biryani which is balanced, sumptuous and wholesome at the same time. Not surprising, given Ismail Merchants fondness for good food and cooking.

The book is filled with beautiful stories, larger than life characters and sweet anecdotes, but the narrative still remains fast paced and light. The photographs are beautiful, like any Merchant Ivory period drama and so is the layout.

While I had watched "Heat and Dust" as a child on DD and "Cotton Mary" a few years back on a flight, my lack of interest in period dramas had deprived me of the magic of Merchant Ivory. This book has ensured that I will go back and finish the collection of Merchant Ivory's 5 Movies which we had picked up over 5 years back.

Rating : 3.5 / 5

Also Read : Kim's Review of My Passage From India







No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...