Thursday 5 February 2015

Kim's Recommendations : Top Retellings of Indian Mythology

A friend asked me which modern Indian mythological renditions I would recommend, after reading my review of Asura. I thought I would share it here, for others who had the same question.

Gripping Reads I would say:
1. Heavily, heavily recommend : In Search of Sita
2. Chitra Bannerjee Diwakaruni - Palace of Illusions
3. Ashok Bankers - Ramayana Series - I haven't read his Mahabharath series or the Krishna Corrolis yet, so not sure about those.
4. Amish Tripathis - Shiva Trilogy
Immortals of Meluha
Secret of the Nagas
Oath of the Vayuputras
5. Malyalam classic finally translated to English - Bhima - the Lone Warior
6. Anand Neelakantan's - Ajaya
7. The Last War - Mahabharata in a modern setting, think Omkara from Othello types.
8. Breaking the Bow - Speculative Fiction


Second Lot:
1. Samhita Arni's - Speculative Fiction - The Missing Queen
2. The Outcast's Queen - from Karna's wife's perspective.
3. The Winds of Hastinapur - Ganga's Perspective.
4. If you can read in Hindi - Manu Sharmas' entire series of Atmakathas - like Draupadi ki Atmakatha

Others whose story is good, but not a very smooth read (could use editing)
1. Pratibha Ray's - Yajnaseni - I've heard the Oriya version is great, I could only read the translation
2. Devdutt Pattanaik is a brilliant story teller, but his books are not as easy to read (people like us will take an hour to read each page trying to understand and google the multiple concepts on each page)
3. Anand Neelakantan's Asura

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...