Monday 2 March 2015

Kim's Review : The Wrong Girl (First Freak House Trilogy)


The Wrong Girl, is one of the Books that I downloaded for free online. There are loads of books that are offered free on ibooks daily and they work out as ideal reading for the tube for me. (I don't have the added weight of a book and I get to try a lot of new authors)

A lot of authors, offer their first book in a series for free, for a limited period, in the hopes that you will buy their other books if you like what you read. C J Archers "The Wrong Girl", is the first book in the last two months that spurred me to purchase the next 2 parts immediately.

The blurb almost made it sound like a Historical Teen romance novel, but it was categorised as paranormal, which was why I read until the end : It’s customary for Gothic romance novels to include a mysterious girl locked in the attic. Hannah Smith just wishes she wasn’t that girl. As a narcoleptic and the companion to an Earl’s daughter with a strange affliction of her own, Hannah knows she’s lucky to have a roof over her head and food in her belly when so many orphans starve on the streets. Yet freedom is something Hannah longs for. She did not, however, want her freedom to arrive in the form of kidnapping.

Taken by handsome Jack Langley to a place known as Freak House, she finds herself under the same roof as a mad scientist, his niece, a mute servant and Jack, a fire starter with a mysterious past. They assure Hannah she is not a prisoner and that they want to help her. The problem is, they think she’s the earl’s daughter. What will they do when they discover they took the wrong girl?
Yes, fire- starter did sound promising. So I downloaded the book and I'm glad that I did.

The book was fast paced and intense. The Romance in this book at least, is 'All Audience', though it does promise / threaten to get a bit more 'involved' in the next 2 books. The characters were quite interestingly developed. Archer uses a technique of hinting at much much more than she reveals, which is what kept me hooked.

I cannot really say much more without revealing quite a few spoilers,  so I'll stop here and let you know how the other 2 books go.


Rating : 4 / 5





No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...