Friday 30 January 2015

Kim's Review : Four - A Divergent Collection


I read the Divergent Trilogy awhile ago in October. I had been advised by my friends who are also fans of the series, that I wouldn't like this one as much and so I should just wait until I could borrow it from one of them. But then, there was a great book sale and I just couldn't wait any longer, so I picked up a copy of my own.

And honestly, I have to agree with my friends. I didn't like "Four" as much as the rest of the Divergent Trilogy, because I felt most of the story was repeated, although it was from Tobias point of view. I loved Tobias as a character in the trilogy and loved the fact that in "Allegiant" Veronica Roth moved between telling the tale from Triss to Tobias perspective. However, in this book I didn't feel like I learned too much more either about the story or about his character, which is why it was a disappointment.

The first story of the collection, Free Four: Tobias Tells the Divergent Knife-Throwing Scene - this was pretty much a repeat from Divergent.

The second - The Transfer does give just a bit more detail about Four's Choosing Day Ceremony. But again most of the information had already been covered in bits and pieces in the trilogy itself.

The third story titled The Initiate was slightly better and helped flesh out his character, just a little more.

The fourth story The Son and the fifth and final story The Traitor again talk about life for Tobias as a Dauntless Initiate and when Tris just transfers to Dauntless.

There are also three additional scenes from Divergent, all told from Tobias's point of view, but none of them add more to the story.

Rating : 2.75 / 5

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...